July 1972 - Feasibility Study
Jerry Bell, Park and Recreation Director coordinated a committee Chaired by Robert Hollenbeck, Council Member, with committee members John Viveirous, Ken Wendeln and Loren Hegland. The report was presented to the Village Council on July 19, 1972. Following the report, site and designer selection began.
Sites Considered -
1. Current Valleywood Site - Ulrich and Mickelson Property
2. Site one mile west of Valleywood. Site terrain considered to rugged.
3. Site two miles south of Valleywood.
4. Two other sites were considered, but they already had impending development.
Designers Considered -
1. Don Ripple - (Braemar)
2. Charles Maddox - (Majestic Oaks, Rolling Green)
3. David Gill - Bunker Hills, Dwan)
4. Don Herfort - (Bracketts Crossing, Bent Creek)
Don Ripple was selected after Charles Maddox was unable to comply with plan preparation and competitive construction bidding requirements for awarding of a construction contract.
November 1973 Bond Issue Vote -
A $1,470,000 Bond Issue for construction of a golf course was approved by the Village of Apple Valley.
April 1974 Construction Contract Awarded - Property was purchased from Ulrich and Mickelson for $500,000. Rehbein Construction was awarded a contract for $524,634 to construct the golf course.
June 25, 1975 Golf Course named Lebanon Hills
July 17, 1976 (10:00 Saturday)
Grand opening of nine holes (current back nine). Public play began Tuesday, July 20 with a 9-hole rate of $3.00 weekdays and $3.50 weekends. A park shelter building was renovated and used as a clubhouse until the permanent clubhouse was constructed.
December 31, 1976
Total construction and other related costs: $1,556,600.
March 10, 1983 - Golf Course renamed Valleywood Golf Course
New Valleywood Clubhouse opened.
November 2015--Valleywood Named MGA Member Club of the Year