Go To Search
Click to Home
Site Tools
Find Us On:
Apple Valley
7100 147th St. W.
Apple Valley, MN 55124
Ph: (952) 953-2500
Cemetery History
About Lebanon Cemetery
A visible part of Apple Valley’s history is Lebanon Cemetery. It was established in 1863 at the time of the Civil War when the area was known as Lebanon Township. The original two-acre site on the southeast corner of County Road 42 and Pilot Knob Road was purchased to serve the burial needs of the community. The earliest recorded burial was May 25, 1861. For 135 years, Lebanon Cemetery was owned by those who had purchased a grave site. It was managed and operated by a small volunteer Board of Trustees who, with limited resources from the sale of grave lots, maintained the cemetery as a public service.

After the area became Apple Valley, many of the area citizens were choosing Lebanon as their final resting place. This historic cemetery needed additional space and a major upgrade if it was to continue to serve the community. The Board of Trustees realized the cemetery could not meet the community’s needs without additional resources and voted to offer the cemetery to the City of Apple Valley in return for perpetual care and expansion by the city.

Obtaining Additional Land
In May of 1997, Apple Valley voters approved acquisition of the cemetery and a bond referendum to obtain an additional eight acres of land. A master design and development plan was drafted. Transfer of the original two acres of the cemetery was made to the city in December 1998, and the additional land was purchased.

In 2013 the City added approximately three acres of land on the east side of the cemetery.  This establishes the final boundary of Lebanon Cemetery.

Many citizens who helped develop Apple Valley are buried in Lebanon Cemetery. If you visit the cemetery, you can see some familiar names on the monuments and markers. The cemetery is open every day from sunrise to sunset.