Become a Firefighter
For over 50 years, the Apple Valley Fire Department has taken great pride in providing top-notch firefighters, facilities, equipment, and training to our residents that serve as firefighters in our City. We welcome applications from men and women from all walks of life to work with us as we continue the tradition of service we are committed to provide.
Who can be an Apple Valley firefighter?
To be an Apple Valley Firefighter, you must;
- be at least 18 years of age
- have a high school diploma or GED
- have a Minnesota Class D driver’s license and clean driving record
- live within four minutes legal drive time of an Apple Valley Fire Station
- be able to complete the requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodations
- complete and pass any and all required pre-employment exams and evaluations
What kind of training is required to be an Apple Valley Firefighter?
The Apple Valley Training Academy is coordinated and overseen by our training officer. In addition to learning the “Apple Valley” way of providing excellent service, the successful candidates will receive the required certification in the following areas of study;
- Firefighter I & II Fire Service Certification
- Hazardous Materials – Operational Level
- Emergency Medical Responder
What does it cost to enroll in the Apple Valley Firefighter Training Academy?
There is no cost to the individual recruit firefighter to participate in the training academy. In fact, recruit, probationary, and active firefighters all receive a City Council approved hourly rate for each hour that they train and each hour they are on a call. The 2020 hourly pay rate for Apple Valley Firefighters is $17.00.
What do Apple Valley firefighters do?
After obtaining the needed certifications, Firefighters will, under the direction and supervision of a station or chief officer, ensure effective delivery of public safety services that fulfill the fire department goals and objectives.
Primary Duties include;
- respond to their assigned fire station when paged for service that includes but is not limited to fires, rescues, and medical emergencies
- assist with apparatus and equipment testing and maintenance
- assist as requested and needed with building maintenance
- operate firefighting vehicles and equipment as needed
- commit to meeting the minimum training requirements in firefighting techniques by participating in live burns, drills, and other trainings
- act as community stewards by participating in Community Risk Reduction (CRR) initiative by participating in fire prevention/educational activities and providing fire and life safety programs for residential and commercial residents of our City
How can I apply to be an Apple Valley Firefighter?
Historically, we have accepted applications and begun the hiring process in April of each year. You can view a sample of our hiring schedule to learn more about our process.
You may complete a job interest card indicating that you would like to be notified when firefighter positions are posted.