News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/9/2022 9:13:55 AM to 6/13/2022 12:00:02 AM.

News Flash

Code Enforcement

Posted on: May 9, 2022

[ARCHIVED] Do your part to keep the public right of way safe and accommodating to ordinary use!

Couch at Curb

Obstructions in the public right of way can interfere with many ordinary uses that we all depend on. Public streets, sidewalks, and boulevard areas should be kept free of obstructions and accommodating to ordinary use.

Street, sidewalk, and boulevard areas may not be used by property owners or contractors as staging areas for storage of equipment or materials except as allowed for by city permit. Construction/demolition and landscaping materials such as junk concrete from driveway replacements, landscaping boulders, dirt, wood, and yard waste should not be placed or staged in right of way areas even for a short term. Bobcats, table saws, ladders, and other equipment and machinery are also prohibited. A permit is required for any excavations in the right of way including driveway replacement. Exceptions are provided for the installation of mailboxes, irrigation systems, and trees. Property owners and contractors should make use of available space on private property when possible.  

Basketball hoops may not be placed in right of way areas or on road surfaces and must remain on private property usually 13 feet back from curb lines. Trash containers, placed out for collection by homeowners, should be placed behind the curb and not on the roadway surface. Haulers, likewise, should return containers to the area they were retrieved from behind the curb following collection. Bagster’s used for the temporary storage of items for disposal may be placed out for up to 2-weeks, but must not be placed on the roadway portion of the right of way and must not obstruct any sidewalk.

Discarded household items such as furniture, or appliances should only be placed out on the day of collection. Such items placed in right of way areas will be removed by the City following 5 days notice to the adjacent property owner at the expense of the property owner.  

To obtain a right of way permit ahead of your next home project please contact the Apple Valley Public Works Department at 952.953.2400­­­­­­­­­­­­­. To report an obstruction in your neighborhood, please contact Code Enforcement by phone at 952.953.2570, or by email at

Permit Application (Link)
Facebook Twitter Email